All storytellers - be they writer, poet, sculpture, cartoonist, songwriter,musician, painter, historian, moviemakers, architect or interior designer.................... inspire me too look at world through fresh eyes.

I'm a Aspiring Storyteller ~ Its what I love, it's what I breathe, it feeds my soul.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Melbourne Safe Deposit Building


Located at 110 Queen St, MELBOURNE located right next door to the world-renowned highly overexposed Melbourne Gothic Bank. Being situated beside the Gothic Bank in Melbourne means it gets overlooked by all the tourist photos.


But this sublime example of true
ornate Neo-Gothic Architecture. Built in 1890 and designed by the Melbourne’s premium architect of the time William Pitt. Other that the highlighting of red brick beside the untreated concrete mouldings. The facade is not flush and appears off centre due to the elevate bay window (?), this is a major feature in Neo-Gothic architecture. I used to know what it was called but for the life of me, I can't remember its techinical name at the moment.

The one thing I like about the building is the assymetry that each floor offers. The exterior window moulding are different on each floor from the standard gothic arch two fold to the gothic arch three fold to the standard window frames and so forth, I can only imaging offer the tenants a very different framed view of the tree lined Queen Street that occupied this building when it . Topped by dormer windows and gables

I came across this sublime shot on flicker which may or may not be digitally coloured. I myself am not a photographer but appreciate those with the eye to capture a unique view.

Check it out On Flicker below or Click on the Post Title

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phunnyfotos/5596469787/

2 comments:

  1. this is cool, i've never seen the building before! i'll have to make a note to have a look at it next time i'm walking by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to see great architecture overlooked. This is part of why I wanted to include this stuff on my blog, I love Melbourne's architecture & too many great buildings get overlooked

    ReplyDelete